Getting around New York in an Uber, Lyft, or taxi is extremely convenient. In fact, these services have become a staple across the country, forever changing how we view transportation. Although these services are vital, they can also be exceptionally deadly.
The number of accidents resulting from negligent cab, Uber, or Lyft drivers is staggering. The lack of adequate training, the long hours, and the increasing need to get to the next fare or client as quickly as possible has led to catastrophic accidents and devastating injuries. If you have been injured in an Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident, it would be to your advantage to contact Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC. Our lawyers can ensure you receive the legal help you need and go after the compensation you deserve.
The Statute of Limitations for an Uber, Lyft, and Taxi Accident Claim
The statute of limitation is a law that dictates how much time you have to initiate legal proceedings for an alleged offense. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury is three years from the accident date. However, there are numerous exceptions to this rule that can shorten or lengthen the amount of time you have to file. For instance, if the accident involved a death, you only have two years to file a wrongful death claim. Or if your case is against a municipality, then the time will be even shorter. That is why you need to make sure to contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible following your accident. These lawyers can quickly determine how much time you have to file your case and ensure all your legal motions are filed promptly and accurately.
How Much is an Uber, Lyft, and Taxi Accident Claim Worth?
Unfortunately, as each accident is unique, no attorney can tell you exactly how much your case is worth. In fact, numerous factors can affect the value of your claim, including:
- The severity of the injury
- The type of medical treatments that are needed
- Will you need any future medical treatments
- Will you be able to work following the Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident
- What was the extent of your lost wages
- Do you need additional help following the accident
- Did you miss out on critical life milestones
- The credibility of the evidence and witnesses presented
When you work with the legal team of Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC, we can go over these factors, determine which ones may impact your claim, and prepare the best case in response, going after maximum damages.
What You Need to Do Following a Lyft, Uber, or Taxi Accident
If you are involved in an Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident, you need to make sure you take specific actions after the crash. These steps can ensure that you stay safe and that your legal rights are protected.
- Call 911: You need to call 911 following an Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident. The EMS can provide you with any necessary emergency medical treatments, while the police officers will investigate the accident scene and document their findings in their police report. If you decide to pursue a legal claim, this report can provide you with vital evidence regarding what happened and who was involved.
- Obtain Evidence from the Scene: If you can, try to take pictures or videos of the accident scene. Get photos of your visible injuries, the vehicles involved in the crash, any skid marks on the road, the weather conditions at the time of the accident, and any other pieces of evidence that can help show what happened.
- Get Driver Information: Following the accident, make sure you get the names, contact information, insurance information, and driver’s license number from every motorist involved in the crash.
- Get Witness Information: If any individual at the scene saw what happened, get their name and phone number. Their pictures and statements can provide you with crucial information if you decide to pursue a legal claim.
- Get Examined by a Medical Care Professional: Even if your injuries appear to be minor, you still need to get checked out by a medical professional. These physicians can confirm that you do not have any hidden injuries and provide you the treatments you need. Additionally, these doctors will document their findings in their medical report. This report can show what injuries you suffered due to the accident and the extent of these injuries.
- Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney: Uber, Lyft, and taxi accident claims are complicated. That is why it is imperative to start collecting evidence as soon as possible following the crash. For these reasons, you need to contact an experienced personal injury attorney promptly. These lawyers can get to work investigating the accident and gathering the information you need to prove your claim.
How Can Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC Help Me Following My Uber, Lyft, and Taxi Accident?
If you are looking to file an Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident claim, you need legal help that you can trust. Not only are these types of accidents incredibly complicated and require detailed evidence to show fault and damages, but they also require a solid understanding of New York’s laws. However, when you retain an experienced personal injury attorney from the law firm of Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC, our attorneys can:
- Go Over Your Concerns: We can go over your case in detail, answer any questions you have, and figure out which legal options you can pursue.
- Investigate the Accident: We can promptly and thoroughly investigate your accident, gather critical evidence, and interview relevant witnesses that can help substantiate your claims.
- Handle Negotiations: Discussing your case with the insurance company or the defense attorneys can be stressful. However, when our lawyers step in, we can handle these negotiations and discussions for you. Ensuring you do not say anything that can impact your claim.
- Take Your Case To Trial: If the other side is unwilling to negotiate, we can take your case to trial and fight for the compensation you need.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident. Do not wait any longer. Contact the law offices of Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC today and let our attorneys fight for the justice you deserve.
No Fees Until We Win.
Please call us at (212) 977-2020 or fill out the form below to get started.