Motor vehicles are an essential part of our life, but when negligent drivers get behind the wheel, innocent people can suffer catastrophic injuries or die from the accidents these drivers create.
Even though no one expects to be involved in one of these horrific car accidents, multiple victims suffer the consequences of these devastating car crashes in New York every day. Even worse, many of these car accident victims have no idea what to do after one of these crashes or who they can turn to for the help they need. However, you do not have to go through this complicated ordeal on your own. The law firm of Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC, is here to provide you the legal assistance you need and go after the compensation and damages you deserve.
Common Types of Car Accidents
Car accidents can result from a variety of reasons. However, some of the more common types of vehicle crashes include:
- Head-On Collisions: This accident occurs when two cars collide head-on, and the end-results typically involve serious injuries or death.
- T-Bone Collisions: Often, when a car runs a red light or a stop sign or fails to yield, it can lead to a T-bone collision. These collisions involve one car striking the side of another, forming a “T” when the vehicle’s impact.
- Rear-end Collisions: When a vehicle follows another car too closely, it can result in them crashing into the car in front of it. Common factors often leading to these rear-end collisions include distraction, driver inattention, panic stops, tailgating, or wet pavement conditions.
- Sideswipe Accidents: These accidents result from a motorist changing lanes and veering into another vehicle. As a result, these sideswipe accidents can lead to automobile spin-outs and cars striking nearby objects or vehicles.
When you understand why and how these accidents occur, not only are you better prepared if you find yourself in a situation involving a motor vehicle accident. But in addition, when you know the specifics of your accident, it can help your attorney build a stronger case.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents can cause numerous injuries that vary in type and scope. However, some of the more typical injuries that result from a car accident include the following:
- Scrapes and Cuts
- Internal Bleeding
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Head and Neck Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Deep Lacerations
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
Specific Steps To Take Following a Car Accident
Car accident scenes are often quite overwhelming and chaotic. Many times victims of these accidents have no idea what they need to do next. However, the steps you take following a car accident can not only keep you safe but protect your legal rights as well. That is why if you are ever involved in a car accident, make sure you do the following:
- Call 911: Following a motor vehicle accident, you need to call 911. The EMS can quickly get to the scene and provide any necessary medical help, while the police can investigate the accident and document their findings in their police report. If you decide to pursue legal action, this report can provide you with critical information about the accident and who was involved.
- Collect Evidence: If it is safe, make sure you collect evidence from the accident scene. Get pictures and videos of your visible injuries, the vehicles involved in the crash, any skid marks on the road, weather conditions at the time of the accident, any traffic signs near the crash scene, and any other evidence that can help show what happened.
- Get Driver Information: Make sure to get the name, contact details, insurance information, and driver’s license number from every driver involved in the crash.
- Witness Details: If any individual was at the collision scene, get their names, and contact information. Their statements can provide you with critical details about the accident that can help your claim.
- See a Medical Care Professional: Even if you do not feel your injuries are serious, you still need to get examined by a medical professional following your car accident. Many serious injuries remain hidden without any apparent symptoms, and the longer you wait to get these injuries checked out, the more dangerous they become. That is why it is imperative to get looked over by a physician who can provide you the diagnosis and treatment you need. In addition, these doctors can also write their findings in their medical report, which can provide you with valuable evidence in terms of your damages.
- Call an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney: Following a car accident, you need to make sure you contact an experienced personal injury attorney as quickly as possible. These lawyers can answer the questions you have and provide you the legal assistance you need.
How Can Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC Help You Following a Car Accident?
Car accident claims are confusing, tedious, and incredibly detailed. They require you to provide relevant evidence and solid arguments that can prove both liability and damages. As a result of these legal complexities, it is in your best interest to have an experienced personal injury attorney on your side. These lawyers can:
- Answer any questions and concerns you have.
- Go over all of your legal options.
- Investigate the accident thoroughly, gathering critical evidence, and interviewing witnesses that can help show fault.
- Ensure your case is filed within the three-year statute of limitations.
- Take over the negotiations and discussions with the defense and the insurance companies.
- If needed, take your case to trial and fight for maximum compensation.
After a car accident, you already have enough on your plate. Do not worry about figuring out how to handle a car accident claim on top of everything else. Instead, leave these legal battles to the law firm of Chaikin LaPenna, PLLC. We can take care of the whole legal process for you while you focus on what matters most – your recovery. Contact our firm today for further information or to discuss your case.
No Fees Until We Win.
Please call us at (212) 977-2020 or fill out the form below to get started.